Som Tum, also known as papaya salad, is a common Thai dish consisting of tomatoes, peanuts, sliced green papaya, and a variety of herbs and spices. In Thailand, it is a popular street food, and most Thai restaurants can be found serving it. Making papaya salad at home is easy and delicious with the help of this recipe.
For those who like strong flavors and unusual combinations, papaya salad is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
• 2 cups green papaya chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
• 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2-3 bird’s eye chilies, minced
• 2 tablespoons of fish sauce (vegan alternative can be used)
• 2 tbsp lime juice
• 1 tablespoon of palm sugar or brown sugar
• 1/4 cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
• 1/4 cup chopped green beans
1. Combine the diced tomatoes, chopped peanuts, and green papaya in a big bowl.
2. Mix palm sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, minced garlic, and minced chili in a small bowl.
3. After adding the dressing, toss to incorporate the papaya mixture.
4. Add green beans and coriander leaves, then toss one more.
5. Check the seasoning and tweak it as required.
6. Before serving, let the salad sit for at least 10 minutes to let the flavors meld.
• It’s also important to keep in mind that the level of heat in papaya salad varies based on the recipe and the number of chilies used. You can change the number of chiles, to suit your preferences. Various side dishes like sticky rice or grilled veggies can also be served with them. Salads can also be served as a main dish by adding additional protein, such as tofu or tempeh.
• You are welcome to try other vegetables and change the flavor to suit your taste. For extra flavor, you can add extra ingredients like carrots, and turnips.
• This food is delicious and unique because of the balanced combination of sourness from the lemon juice, sweetness from the sugar, saltiness from the fish sauce, and crunch from the peanuts and papayas.
Check Out More Thai Recipes-