Low-carb and simple to create, vegan eggplant rollatini is an Italian-inspired dish. For a hearty and delicious meal, eggplant is roasted before being filled with tofu ricotta and baked in red sauce.
This vegan eggplant rollatini is one of our favorite recipes for comfort food! Soft eggplants are filled with high-protein tofu ricotta, which is then topped with tasty marinara sauce. It is healthier than it seems because it is naturally dairy-free, gluten-free, and plant-based.
• 1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise
• 1/2 cup vegan ricotta or mozzarella cheese
• 2 tablespoons chopped basil
• 1-2 cups tomato sauce
• 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs or vegan parm
• 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cut the brinjals lengthwise and thinly – about half an inch in length. To remove excess water from the brinjal, pat it dry with a paper towel. Roast the eggplants in the oven for ten minutes.
3. Your vegetarian paneer is ready! For the cheese filling, I used a recipe for Vegan Cashew Mozzarella. Any vegetarian ricotta-like recipe will do, but we highly suggest using this one. Add some finely chopped fresh basil to your vegan cheese mixture.
4. The tomato sauce should be spread thinly on the bottom of your baking dish or pan. Lay the eggplant flat on a clean, dry surface and place a dollop of the vegan cheese mixture on one end. Place the rolled brinjals upside down in the pan. Repeat this step till all the brinjal slices are rolled and the stuffing is done.
5. Rollatini can be topped with more sauce, breadcrumbs, or vegan Parmesan. Bake the dish in the oven, covered, for 20 minutes. After that, remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Add some fresh basil and parsley as a garnish.